Urology is a specialized area of health care that deals with the diseases of the male and female urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra) and the male reproductive system.
A patient may self-refer or be referred to a urologist for diagnosis or treatment of a range of conditions, including:
- Kidney and ureteral stones
- Enlarged prostate
- Cancers of the urological or male reproductive system, such as kidney, bladder cancer or prostate cancer
- Erectile dysfunction
- Incontinence and voiding dysfunction
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- Interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome
- Peyronie’s disease
- Urethral stricture
- Male infertility
- Bladder prolapse
- Undescended testes, or cryptorchidism